Monday, August 4, 2014

Connections

As I sit and knit another Feather and Fan scarf, I think about why. Knitting does that, simultaneously transporting our minds to the past, while our fingers work on the future. I'm knitting for a person I've never met, yet I've chatted to her on-line for years. Our connection is as ephermeral as the waves on a shore, yet as lasting as a piece of handiwork. I know she has a cat, a sense of humor, and a love of books.

In a disconnected world of virtual reality, with messages of support available at the stroke of a hashtag, I'm taking the time to create a tangible expression that the world is a better place because she is in it.

Feather and Fan is perfect for this; An old pattern, sometimes known as Old Shale for the look and feel of waves breaking on a rocky shore. Time and purpose ebbs and flows like the knitting pattern, like the waves, depositing a sense of wonder and warmth that a far away person reached out with a simple gift of beauty and left it on the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment